Places of Interest to Visit In Trinidad and Tobago
About the Asa Wright Nature Centre
prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /
The continental origin and proximity of Trinidad to
prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /South America, along with its varied habitats, has resulted in an extremely diverse biota. Species lists for this island are impressive, including 97 native mammals, 400 birds, 55 reptiles, 25 amphibians, and 617 butterflies, as well as over 2,200 species of flowering plants! No other area in the West Indies, and few areas of comparable size in tropical
America, can match this spectacular species diversity. Trinidad is 50 miles long by about 37 miles wide, and dominated by the
Range, which rises to about 3,000 feet and was historically covered by tropical rainforest. Here, in this lush part of this beautiful island, you will find the magical Asa Wright Nature Centre.
To see Squirrel Cuckoos, Toucans, and parrots fly past the gallery, while Tufted Coquettes and half a dozen other species of hummingbirds feed on the vervain by the reception, is but a small part of what the birder will find at the Centre. Botanists and entomologists and other naturalists will find the area equally rich.
Located at 1,200 feet in the mountains of the
Range, seven miles north of the town of
Arima, the Asa Wright Nature Centre (AWNC) is a world-class natural history destination for students of tropical ecology and is of particular interest to birdwatchers
The Maracas Waterfall is situated in the upper part of the Maracas valley. To get to the waterfall you turn from the
Eastern Main Road onto
Abercromby Street opposite the Mosque in
Abercromby Street becomes the
Maracas Royal Road less than 1 kilometer from the EMR. After approximately 8 kilometers you turn onto
Waterfall Road and drive until the road begins to climb uphill. At this point on
Waterfall Road there is a car park where security and tours are provided by the participants of the National Service program under the Forestry Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Marine Resources.
The Maracas Waterfall is a little over 91.5m. in height and is situated in cool, beautiful surroundings. From the carpark on
Waterfall Road it is a further 2.4km. to the waterfall. The journey to the waterfall is an uphill walk along a very wide track lined on both sides by Balata trees. After approximately 15 minutes, there is a fork in the track and the track on the right leads to a cascade consisting of three tiers of mini waterfalls with two large pools that are suitable for swimming.
A further 20 minutes of walking leads to the main waterfall. There is no pool for bathing at the base of this waterfall. The water flow on the Maracas Waterfall is more spectacular during the rainy season but even in the dry season it is a wonderful sight.
prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /
George is located on the crest of a ridge over 1,000 feet above
Port of Spain. Built by the British in 1804, all approaches to the capital were monitored and commanded from this fort. In addition to providing protection for the city, the fort was used as a safe place for merchants to deposit books and cash in the event of an invasion. Today, the fort is a popular site, with the presence of some well-preserved relics, including cannons and look-out stations. The grounds of the fort are beautifully landscaped with picnic facilities and visitors have the opportunity to enjoy perhaps the most spectacular view of the city and its environs.
Island, also known as Gaspar Grande is one of a chain of five islands situated just off the Western Peninsula of Trinidad (better known as "Down the Islands").
Boat leaves at 10.00AM and return at 3PM Trinidad offshore
Island is a short boat ride from Chaguaramas, has an easily accessible cave complex as well as picnic facilities and ruins of colonial fortifications. Visit the Stalagmites and other rock formations in this natural cave that glitters as diamond Entrance and Boat ride included
Gaspar Grande a limestone island is home to a fascinating network of underground caves, tales tell that they were used by pirates to stash their treasure.
A short walk will take you to the entrance to the Blue Grotto, a cavern encrusted with stalactites and stalagmites.
At the bottom of the cavern a crystal clear tidal pool shimmers like a mirror, reflecting the colours above. The tour is limited to safe areas only.
Additionally there's an enjoyable trail (about 25 minutes) across Gaspar Grande, where you can see World War II cannons mounted for the defense of the bay.
Travelers going on
Spain Tours must visit
Caroni Bird Sanctuary,
Port of Spain. It is one of the popular
Tourist Attractions in Port of Spain, the capital city of
Caroni Bird Sanctuary, Port of Spain is situated in the mangrove lined waterways and lakes between the Uriah Butler expressway and the sea.
Caroni Bird Sanctuary in Port of Spain is the nesting location for the beautiful Scarlet Ibis, national bird of
Trinidad and Tobago. The bird is protected by law and the
Caroni Bird Sanctuary,
Port of Spain, situated in the
Swamp, on the northwest of
Trinidad. The large wetland area was declared as a wildlife sanctuary to provide refuge for the Scarlet Ibis and other birds in 1953.
Tourists visiting the sanctuary can also go for boat tours, meandering through the swamps, in the afternoon. It enables them to catch a spectacular view of the Scarlet Ibis flocks as they make their way home at day’s end. Several companies conduct these nice tours departing at 4 pm. Early morning tours are also available by appointment.
This natural phenomenon, situated in the
La Brea in southwest
Trinidad, has fascinated explorers, scientists and locals since its discovery by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1595. About 250 feet deep at its center, it is estimated to have reserves in excess of 6 million tons, from which approximately 180 tons of pitch are mined daily. On a good day, the output can reach 240 tons. Far from being water, the "lake" is 40 percent pitch, 30 percent water and 30 percent colloidal clay. The only liquid source is the self-replenishing center, known as "The Mother of the
Lake." A gift of nature and a national treasure, The Pitch Lake provides the entire country, and many of the neighboring islands with pitch for building roads. From a distance the lake appears to be an abandoned car park and visitors can be seen walking on the surface or even swimming, with the hopes of gaining what some believe to be the lake's healing properties. For more information on guided tours call 868.651.1232.
Point-A-Pierre-Wild Fowl Trust
Just outside San Fernando, on the grounds of the Petrotrin Oil Refinery, lies an oasis of tranquility and beauty, with landscaped grounds, trails and two lakes, many rare species of bird. The Trust lies on twenty-five hectares of land, protects endangered waterfowl and introduces other birds back to the wild. There is a resource and learning centre as it is entrusted with the breeding of and education about waterfowl and wetlands. Tours are conducted daily for schoolchildren and the general public.
KingGeorge tops the list of historical
Tobago attractions and can be found atop a hill overlooking the scenic capital of
Scarborough. Besides offering insight into the
history of Tobago, Fort King George also rewards its visitors with some supreme views of Scarborough and the
Atlantic Ocean. It’s easy to see why the British built Fort King George where they did, as it provides for quite a strategic vantage point. No visit to Scarborough would be complete without a trip up to this most historic site in
Tobago, so you’ll want to set aside at least a few hours to enjoy it.
The history ofTrinidadandTobagofeatures quite a lot of players from Europe, and among the countries that fought to assume control of thisCaribbeanisland nation wasGreat Britain. British forces managed to gain the upper hand in the late 1700s, and they didn’t grant
Trinidad and Tobago independence until 1962. To help guard the Tobago capital of
Scarborough, the British forces built Fort King George in the 1770s. The fort would remain in operation until 1854, and for some of that time, it fell under control of French forces. UnderFrance, the fort was renamed
Castries, though the original name would eventually be re-established.
King George was named in honor of King George III, who reigned over
Great Britain andIrelandfrom 1760 to 1820.
James was built in 1811 on the site of earlier Courlander and British settlements. It was named for James, Duke of Courland, a small Latvian territory. After permanent barracks were built on the site in 1768, it shifted hands many times between the British and the French. The British finally reclaimed the site in 1802 when Commodore Sir Samuel Hood arrived at
Bay with his squadron.
Hall of Justice
The Hall of Justice is located in the centre of
Port of Spain, East of the Red House. The structure, handed over to the government in 1985, houses the Court of Appeal, the Civil and Criminal Divisions of the High Court in
Port of Spain, and the Tax Appeal Board. The modern exterior architecture was inspired from a need to construct a building that would be dignified without being too imposing.
Emperor Valley Zoo
Trinidad and Tobago's only zoo features a wide variety of tropical species including lions, tigers, monkeys, birds and fish. It is located in the capital,
Port of Spain. The Botanical Gardens contains many species of plants and is right next to the zoo, close to the President's house.Port of Spain,
Trinidad. Establish in 1952, the primary objective of the Emperor Valley Zoo was to expose the residents of
Trinidad and Tobago to the native fauna and the fragility of the ecosystems here. The zoo has grown as have the ambitions. This is a good place to start if you are interested in understand wildlife on these islands
Here are some of the animals that you would see
Coral Snake its not a chain
San Fernando Hill
San Fernando Hill(officially known as
Naparima Hill, and frequently referred to by the locals as simply
The Hill) is a 180-m (600-foot) hill which lies at the centre of the city of
San Fernando in
Trinidad and Tobago. The hill, an outcrop of
limestone is the highest point in the
Naparima Plains. Originally nearly dome-shaped with a flattened top, the size was reduced by more than a third as a result of unrestricted quarrying in the 1970s. The Hill originally supported
semi-evergreen forest, but this was largely replaced by cultivated species prior to the devastation of the Hill by quarrying.
Quarrying on the Hill was not a new phenomenon, but the increase in demand forlimestoneaggregate (for construction) during theoil boomof the 1970s led to an expansion of quarrying to the point where it appeared that the entire Hill would be removed. Protests by citizens' groups led to a halt to quarrying and the Hill was included in the National Parks and Protected Areas plan of 1980. TheForestry Divisiontook over management of the Hill and have since constructed a visitor centre and recreation area on the Hill. When visiting the centre, one can look out over a commanding view of south and central Trinidad, the
Paria, and on a clear day, the coast of nearby
Venezuela. SeveralWorld War II-era bunkers also exist on the Hill, but they are not readily accessible to the public.
'The Hill' holds a special place in the hearts of San Fernandians, and gives the town its character. Since the town sits on the flanks of this hill and its neighbour, Alexander Hill,
San Fernando is famously a town of steep streets, some of which should be driven only by the brave or foolhardy. Alexander Hill is lined with several Mansions that house some of the more famous
San Fernando families. The Mansions include "Stauble's Castle" at the pinnacle as well as the architecturally renowned "Chateau Cristal" three houses to the West.
During the late 1980s the then mayor of San Fernando, Dr.Romesh Mootoosuggested that theCity Hallbe removed to the Hill, calling it
. Nothing came of these plans, however. With the development of the Hill as a recreation area, the burgess of San Fernando and surrounding have re-connected with the Hill. During the Christmas season, a large star, lit electrically, can be seen all over the surrounding area, from its place on the San Fernando Hill.
Based on the Masters research ofTyrone Kalpee, (now ofBP), an innovative plan for the restoration of the bare-rock surface of the formerly quarried areas (which make up about 3/4 of the Hill) was developed based on
, a fast-growingleguminoustree species. The Forestry Division incorporated Kalpee's plans its restoration plan for the Hill, and as a result many areas support relatively lush vegetation.
San Fernando Hill, looking north from
Alexander Hill viewed from San Fernando Hill looking north-west
Start of the thumbnail imagesIterate through images and produce an index table
‘The Buccoo Reef Trust (BRT) is a non-profit organisation, registered in Trinidad and Tobago and the USA that was specifically created to assist in addressing the threats facing Tobago's marine environment and to explore opportunities for the sustainable development of marine tourism, fishing and aquaculture in the Caribbean region as a whole. Its aim is to build and operate a Marine Research Centre as an internationally recognised institution of research and education on tropical reef ecosystems and sustainable aquaculture.
The Board of Directors of the Buccoo Reef Trust invites you to learn more about our plans and to join us in a venture that will help protect an island and a region of unique beauty and opportunity.
A world in which the marine environment of tropical islands is conserved for the benefit of future generations while maximizing present opportunities for sustainable livelihoods that enhance the quality of human life.
To establish an internationally recognised research, education and conservation centre, focusing on the conservation of the
Caribbean’s marine environment and the development of sustainable aquaculture practices for tropical islands
During Gerald McFarlane's tenure in the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) as Secretary for Marine Affairs he commissioned the Institute for Marine Affairs (IMA) to study the coral reefs around
Tobago and to develop a management plan for the Buccoo Reef. In 1994, he led a THA delegation to
USA, to look at aquaculture and marine laboratory facilities, which, with the meeting of Gerald and Rich Langton, resulted directly in the establishment of theBuccoo Reef Trust.